Hydrotherapy is a fundamental element of our brand—we consider hot baths to be a crucial part of mind/body wellness; a necessary luxury with curative benefits. Natural healing springs can contain a myriad of therapeutic trace minerals depending on location and geology. Japan, specifically, is known for its bathing culture and prevalence of thermal hot springs, but even when an onsen isn’t in the cards, you can set yourself up to reap similar benefits.
- Boost the immune system so you can coast through the end of flu season unscathed. An increase in body temperature makes the body an inhospitable host for germs, reducing the risk of infection and illness.
- Improve quality of sleep, which is essential when it comes to achieving peak health. When your body temperature decreases after a hot bath, it strengthens your circadian rhythm and helps you to drift off more quickly and easily.
- Foster weight loss without working out. (Really.) A hot bath stimulates circulation and helps pump oxygen-rich blood throughout the body. This regulates insulin and mimics the effects of exercise. Better circulation also aids in lowering high blood pressure and improves diabetes while nourishing the organs and flushing toxins from the body.
- Are relaxing. Obviously. And we could all benefit from more relaxation. Lower stress levels result in lower rates of illness, both major and minor.
- Alleviate aches and pains and aid in recovery from injury, long after you emerge from the hot water.
- Facilitate mineral absorption by the body, improve deficiencies, and help to heal skin wounds and diseases like dermatitis and psoriasis.
SET THE TONE
Smartphones are not relaxing.
Smartphones are actually the opposite of relaxing.
Dim the lights and close the door to the outside world.
A bath tray holds a glass of water and candle nicely. A bath pillow or plush towel rolled behind your neck helps to create a spa-like experience.
Salt + Soda Bath
Two nights a week add one pound of sea salt or kosher salt and one pound of baking soda to your bath. Sea salt is full of minerals like potassium, which balances moisture in the skin, and sulfur, a powerful agent that helps rid the body of toxins. Baking soda assists in detoxification, alkalizes the body, and softens the skin.
Hey, nobody’s perfect. If you need to bring a glass of wine, a joint, or—hell—even a piece of pizza to your bath, you won’t hear judgement from our end. Sometimes it’s just one of those days.
Aways follow your bath with your favorite Body Balm.